10130 N. Oracle Rd, Suite 110
Tucson, WA 85704
American College of Nutrition; American College of Toxicology; American Society for Nutrition; American Chemical Society; International Society of Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology; Institute of Food Technologists, Society for Food Science and Technology; Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine; Society of Toxicology; Southern Arizona Psychological Association
Dr. Schauss has held faculty positions at a number of institutions as a Clinical Professor of Natural Products Research, Associate Professor of Research, Adjunct Research Professor of Botanical Medicine, and Lecturer in Biostatistics and Epidemiology. He has been the recipient of numerous awards including: the 1981 Achievement Award in Psychophysiology by the German Society for Psychophysiology); the 1983 McCarrison Society Lecture Award; the 1983 Outstanding Service Award by the Canadian Schizophrenia Association; the 1987 Don Peppar Humanitarian Award; the 2005 Linus Pauling Lecture Award by the American College for the Advancement of Medicine; and, recipient of the 2014 International Orthomolecular Medicine Society Hall of Fame Award. He has severed: on several committees at the National Institutes of Health (NIH); a reviewer of botanical standards and information monographs; expert panel member for the U.S Pharmacopoeia Convention (USP; a reviewer for the International Bibliographic Information on Dietary Supplements (IBIDS) database maintained by NIH; and, served on numerous Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) expert panels that determine the safety of ingredients added to foods. He is the author of over 150 peer-reviewed papers, 38 chapters, and 23 books. Currently, he is the Senior Director of Research at AIBMR Life Sciences, and a Research Associate in both the Bio5 Institute, and the Department of Geosciences, College of Science, at the University of Arizona in Tucson.
Alexander G. Schauss was inducted into the Orthomolecular Medicine Hall of Fame in 2014
Contributions to Orthomolecular Medicine
- Associate Editor, Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine (2010–)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine (1989-2009)
- Speaker, 38th Annual International Orthomolecular Medicine Today Conference – 05.02.2009
- Speaker, 43rd Annual International Orthomolecular Medicine Today Conference – 04.25.2014
- Speaker, 48th Annual International Orthomolecular Medicine Today Conference – 06.01.2019
242. Seipel T, Schauss AG. Lower urinary tract symptoms, overactive bladder syndrome and urinary incontinence (LUTS, OAB and UI). In: Textbook of Natural Medicine, 5th Edition, Pizzorno M. [ed.]. Elsevier, Oxford. In press.
241. Schauss AG. Elevated biotin intake may interfere with laboratory assays. Supplement’s safety record is not challenged. Natural Medicine Journal, 2018, 10(7): e1-e6.
240. Schoendorfer N, Sharp N, Coll P, Seipel T, Schauss AG, Ahuja KDK. Urox® containing concentrated extracts of Crataeva nurvala stem bark, Equisetum arvense stem and Lindera aggregata root, in the treatment of symptoms of overactive bladder and urinary incontinence: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2018, 18(1): 42.
239. Schauss AG. Wulfenite: Arizona’s state mineral. Letter-to-the-editor. Rocks & Minerals, 2017; 92(4): 313.
238. Jones B, Schauss AG. Tucson’s 2020 foresight: a new museum for minerals, gems, meteorites and more. Rock & Gems, 2018, 48(2): 10-13.
237. Schauss AG, Nakazaki E. Citicoline (CDP-choline): safety, dosing and pharmacokinetics in the treatment of cognitive dysfunction, neurodegenerative diseases, traumatic head injuries, acute cerebral ischemia, and the broadening range of additional therapeutic and nutraceutical applications. In: Textbook of Natural Medicine, 5th Edition, Pizzorno M. [ed.]. Section IV: Pharmacology of Natural Medicines. Elsevier, Oxford. In press.
236. Rakovan J, Schauss AG, Richards RP. The puzzle of re-entrant cube morphology. In: Diamond: The Ultimate Gemstone, Harris, J.W. and Staebler, G.A. [Eds.] Denver: Lithographie, 2017: 36-38.
235. Poulose SM, Bielinski DF, Carey A, Schauss AG, Shukitt-Hale B. Modulation of oxidative stress, inflammation, autophagy and expression of Nrf2 in hippocampus and frontal cortex of rats fed with açaí-enriched diets. Nutritional Neuroscience, 2017; 20(5): 305-315.
234. Schauss, AG. Health characteristics of vitamin E. Prepared Foods, 2016; 185(1): 70-78.
233. Schauss AG, Celyico SS, Kuznetsova VA, Yergonova I. Toxicological and genotoxicity assessment of a dihydroquercetin-rich Dahurian larch tree (Larix gmelinii Rupr.) extract (Lavitol). International Journal of Toxicology, 2015; 34(2): 162-181.
232. Schauss AG. Advances in the study of the health benefits and mechanism of actions of the pulp and seed of the Amazonian palm fruit, Euterpe oleracea Mart., known as “Acai.” In: Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs: Bioactive Foods in Health Promotion. Watson R. and Preedy V. [Eds.] Academic Press: Oxford, 2016, pp. 179-220.
231. Schauss AG. Arizona state metal. [Letter-to-the-editor] Rocks & Minerals, 2016; 91: 11.
230. Wycoff W, Luo R, Schauss AG, Neal-Kababick J, Sabaa-Srur AUO, Maia JGS, Tran K, Richards KM, Smith RE. Chemical and nutritional analysis of seeds from purple and white acai (Euterpe oleracea Mart.). Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 2015; 41: 181-187.
229. Schauss AG. Increasing evidence of multiple potential benefits of Açai (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) an Amazonian palm fruit. HerbalGram, The Journal of the American Botanical Council, submitted for publication.
228L. Schauss AG. Forum on the market. [Letter-to-the editor]. Mineralogical Record, 2015, 46(5): 783-784.
227C. Schauss AG. The effect of acai (Euterpe spp.) fruit pulp on brain health and performance. In: Bioactive Nutraceuticals and Dietary Supplements in Neurological and Brain Disease: Prevention and Therapy. Watson RR, Preedy VR [Eds.]. Academic Press: Oxford, 2014, pp. 179-186.
226. Schauss AG. Genomics and the convergence of personalized medicine in modern and traditional medicine. Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, 2014; 20(5): 42-43.
225. Poulose SM, Fisher DR, Bielinski DF, Gomes SM, Rimando AM, Schauss AG, Shukitt-Hale B. Restoration of stressor-induced calcium dysregulation and autophagy inhibition by polyphenolics-rich acai (Euterpe spp.) fruit pulp extracts in rodent brain cells in vitro. Nutrition, 2014; 30(7): 853-862.
224. Schauss AG. Beware of predators. Don’t become the next victim of “predatory” journals and conferences. Nutritional Outlook, 2014; 17(7): 22-27.
223. Schauss AG. The value of establishing a dietary ingredient as Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS). [Chinese and English editions] Nutrition and Health, 2014; 1(1): 48-51.
222. Schauss AG. Tocotrienols: the forgotten vital bioactive component of vitamin E. Natural Products Insider, 2013; 3(10): 19-22.
221C. Odendaal AY, Schauss AG. Potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory flavonoids in the nutrient-rich Amazonian palm fruit, açaí (Euterpe spp.). Chapter 18: Oxidation and Antioxidant Activity of Polyphenols. In: Polyphenols in Human Health and Disease. Watson RR, Reedy VR, Zibadi S [eds.] Academic Press: San Diego, 2014, pp. 219-239.
220C. Pizzorno JE, Paul C, Schauss AG. Fish oils (omega-3 fatty acids, docosahexaenoic acid, eicosapentaenoic acid, dietary fish, and fish oils). Pharmacology of Natural Products, In: Textbook of Natural Medicine, Fourth Edition. Pizzorno JE and Murray MT [Eds.], Elsevier Churchill Livingstone: St. Louis, Missouri, 2013, pp. 745-771.
219. Odendaal AY, Deshmukh NS, Marx TK, Schauss AG, Endres JR, Clewell AE. Safety assessment of a hydroethanolic extract of Caralluma fimbriata. International Journal of Toxicology, 2013; 32(5): 385-394.
218A. Schauss AG. Safety assessment of dietary supplements and functional foods. Pacific Northwest Association of Toxicologist, Society of Toxicology (SOT), annual meeting on Risk Assessment from Hazard Identification to Risk Communication. Seattle, Washington, September 21, 2012, p. A12.
217A. Broide E, Schauss AG, Ben-Yehudah G, Siman-Tov V, Shirin H, Grozovski, M. Effects of açai on oxidative stress and hepatic lipid profile in rats with non-alcoholic fatty liver. Gastroenterology, 2012; 142(5): S544.
216A. Wu X, Schauss AG. Mitigation of inflammation with foods. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2012; 60: 6703-6717.
215. Schauss AG. Attenuation of heroin withdrawal syndrome by the administration of high-dose vitamin C. Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, 2012; 27(4): 189-197.
214. Schauss AG. Polyphenols and inflammation. In: Bioactive Foods as Dietary Interventions for Arthritis and Related Inflammatory Diseases. Watson, R.R. [Ed.] Academic Press and Elsevier: Oxford, UK, 2013, pp. 379-392.
213. Schauss AG. Out with the ORAC, in with the new? Nutritional Outlook, 2012; 15: 28-37.
212C. Schauss AG. The açai fruits: potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory superfruits with potential health benefits. In: Dried Fruits: Phytochemicals and Health Effects. Alasalvar C and Shahidi F [eds]. Functional Food Science and Technology Series. Shahidi E [ed.]. Wiley-Blackwell: Oxford, UK, 2013, pp. 395-413.
211. Schauss AG, Stenehjem J, Park J, Endres JR, Clewell A. Effect of the novel low molecular weight hydrolyzed chicken sternal cartilage extract, BioCell Collagen, on improving osteoarthritis-related symptoms: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2012; 60: 4096-4101.
210. Ruff, KJ, Endres JR, Clewell AE, Szabo JR, Schauss AG. Safety evaluation of natural eggshell membrane-derived product. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 2012; 50 (3-4): 604-611.
209A. Schauss AG. The safety of unsaturated vitamin E tocotrienols and their isomers. Proceedings of the Second International Tocotrienol Symposium (in conjunction with 103rd Annual Meeting of American Oil Chemists Society), Long Beach, California, April 29, 2012: S18-19.
208C. Schauss AG, Endres J, Clewell A. The safety of unsaturated vitamin E tocotrientols and their isomers. In: Tocotrienols: Vitamin E Beyond Tocopherols. Tan B, Watson RR, Preedy VR. [eds.] AOCS Press: Urbana, IL and Taylor & Francis/CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 2012, pp. 17-35.
207A. Schauss AG, Wu X. Mitigating inflammation with foods. Cornucopia (American Chemical Society, Division of Agricultural and Food Chemistry). 2011: AGFD 70.
206L. Stafford L, Schauss AG. In Memoriam, Robert Crayhon 1961-2010. Herbalgram, Journal of the American Botanical Council. 2011: 89: 72.
205A. Xie C, Kang J, Zhimin L, Nagarajan S, Schauss AG, Wu T, Wu X. Velutin reduces lipopolysaccharide-induced proinflammatory cytokine TNFα and IL-6 production by inhibiting NF-κB activation. (abstract) FASEB Journal, 2011, 25: 772.13.
204A. Kang J, Xie C, Schauss AG, Wu X, Ou B. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of açai (Euterpe precatoria) fruit pulp. (abstract) FASEB Journal, 2011, 25: 773.15.
203. Schauss AG, Endres JR. Critically evaluating a research study for claim substantiation. SupplySide Insights: R & D, 2012; 1(1): 18-22.
202. Poulose SM, Fisher DR, Larson J, Bielinski DF, Carey AN, Schauss AG, Shukitt-Hale B. Attenuation of inflammatory stress signaling by açai fruit pulp (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) extracts in BV-2 mouse microglial cells. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2012; 60: 1084-1093.
201. Kang J, Thakali KM, Chenghui X, Kondo M, Tong Y, Ou B, Jensen G, Medina MB, Schauss AG, Wu X. Bioactivities of açaí (Euterpe precatoria Mart.) fruit pulp, superior antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties to Euterpe oleracea Mart. Food Chemistry, 2012; 133(3): 671-677.
200. Schauss AG. Regulation of dietary supplements. American Oil Chemists Society (AOCS) official publication, Inform, 2012; 23(10): 661-663.
199. Schauss AG, Endres JR, Clewell, A. Saving money on safety studies without compromising quality. Natural Products Industry Executive, 2011; 16(3): 47.
198. Schauss AG, Varga T, Glavits R, Somfai-Relle S, Endres J, Jensen GS, Clewell A. Safety evaluation of a proprietary food-grade, dried fermentate preparation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. International Journal of Toxicology, 2012; 31(1): 34-45.
197. Xie C, Kang J, Li Z, Schauss AG, Badger TM, Nagarajan S, Wu T, Wu X. The açai flavonoid velutin is a potent anti-inflammatory agent: Blockade of LPS-mediated TNF-α and IL-6 production through inhibiting NF-κB activation and MAPK pathway. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 2012; 23(9): 1184-1191.
196. Kang J, Xie C, Li Z, Wu T, Nagaraja S, Schauss AG, Wu X. Flavonoids from açai (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) pulp and their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. Food Chemistry, 2011; 128(1): 152-157.
195. Xie C, Kang J, Burris R, Ferguson ME, Schauss AG, Nagarajan S, Wu X. Açaí juice attenuates atherosclerosis in ApoE deficient mice through antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities. Atherosclerosis, 2011; 216: 327-333.
194. Schauss AG, Beres E, Vertesi A, Frank Z, Pasics I, Endres J, Aruoma OI, Hirka G. The effect of ergotheioneine on clastogenic potential and mutagenic activity: genotoxicity evaluation. International Journal of Toxicology, 2011; 30(4): 405-409.
193. Schauss AG. Let the science and evidence guide clinical decision-making on vitamin D for the benefit of patients. Editorial. Natural Medicine Journal, 2010 [Nov 30].
192B. Schauss AG. Acai: An Extraordinary Antioxidant–Rich Palm Fruit from the Amazon, Third Edition. Biosocial Publications: Tacoma, 2011. Translated in: (traditional) Chinese (MVP, Taipei, Taiwan), German (Geers, Brussels, Belgium), French (Geers, Brussels, Belgium), Korean (Kim & Kim, Seoul, Korea), Malaysian (Kuala Lumpur), Polish (VideoEurope Plus, Warsaw, Poland), and Thai (Bangkok).
191C. Qureshi I, Endres JR, Schauss AG. Citicoline (CDP-choline). Pharmacology of Natural Products, Chapter 78. In: Textbook of Natural Medicine, Fourth Edition. Pizzorno JE and Murray MT [Eds.], Elsevier Churchill Livingstone: St. Louis, Missouri, 2013, pp. 665-674.
190C. Endres JR, Qureshi I, Clewell A, Schauss AG. Culinary spices in cancer chemoprevention. In: Bioactive Foods and Extracts: Cancer Treatment and Prevention. Watson RR and Preedy VR [Eds.]. CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 2010, pp. 123-139.
189. Jensen GS, Ager DM, Redman KA, Mitzner MA, Benson KF, Mogle C, Schauss AG. Pain reduction and improvement of range of motion after consumption of an antioxidant-rich fruit- and berry-juice blend. Journal of Medicinal Food, 2011; 14(7-8): 712-717.
188. Schauss AG, Vertesi A, Endres JR, Hirka G, Clewell A, Qureshi I, Pasics I. Evaluation of the safety of the dietary antioxidant ergothioneine using the bacterial reverse mutation assay. Toxicology, 2010; 278(1): 39-45.
187. Endres JR, Hirka G, Qureshi I, Farber T, Hauswirth J, Schauss AG. One-year chronic oral toxicity with combined reproduction toxicity study of a novel probiotic preparation of Bacillus coagulans as a food ingredient. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 2011; 49(5): 1174-1182.
186. Schauss AG, Clewell A, Balogh L, Pasics-Skakonyi I, Financsek I, Horvath J, Thuroczy I, Beres E, Vertesi A, Hirka G. Safety evaluation of an açai-fortified fruit and berry functional juice beverage (Monavie Active). Toxicology, 2010; 278(1): 46-54.
185. Kang J, Li Z, Wu T, Jensen GS, Schauss AG, Wu X. Antioxidant capacities and anti-inflammatory effects of flavonoid compounds from açai pulp (Euterpe oleracea Mart.). Food Chemistry, 2010; 122: 610-617.
184. Farber TM, Clewell AE, Endres JR, Hauswirth J, Van Gemert M, Schauss AG, Sheane CA. Safety assessment of a novel ingredient for removable chewing gum. Food and Chemical Toxicology. 2010; 48(3): 831-838.
183. Smitasiri Y, D’Souza P, Neal–Kababick J, Schauss AG. An evaluation of the safety, efficacy and purity of a patented herbal combination formula for the enhancement of male sexual health. Open Journal of Natural Products. 2010; 3: 10-19.
182. Sun X, Seeberger J, Albericol T, Schauss AG, Zou S. Açai palm fruit (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) pulp improves survival of flies on a high fat diet. Experimental Gerontology, 2010; 45(3): 243-251.
181. Clewell AE, Jade K, Qureshi I, Endres J, Financsek I, Horvath J, Schauss AG. Toxicological evaluation of a dietary supplement formulated for male sexual health prior to market release. Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, 2010; 57: 55-61.
180C. Schauss AG, Jensen GS, Wu X. Açai (Euterpe oleracea): An Amazonian palm fruit with broad antioxidant activity. Evidence of antioxidant availability and anti-inflammatory activity based on a series of bioassays and clinical pilot studies to test a complex natural fruit product. In: Flavor and Health Benefits of Small Fruit. Chapter 13. Qian M, Rimando A [eds.] American Chemical Society (ACS) Symposium Series: Oxford University Press, 2010, pp. 213-223.
179 Schauss AG. Let the science and evidence guide clinical decision-making on vitamin D for the benefit of patients. Natural Medicine Journal, 2010, e1-e3.
178. Schauss, AG. Grassroots activism and DSHEA. Natural Products Insider, 2009; 14(12): 64-66.
177B. Schauss AG. Açai: An Extraordinary Antioxidant–Rich Palm Fruit from the Amazon. Second Edition. Biosocial Publications: Tacoma, 2009. Translated in: Spanish and Norweigian.
176C. Badie N and Schauss AG. Soursop (Annona muricata L.) uses: composition, nutritional value, medicinal uses, and toxicology. In: Bioactive Foods in Promoting Health: Fruits and Vegetables. Watson RR, and Preedy V [eds.]. Academic Press: Oxford, 2010, pp. 621-643.
175. Schauss AG, Somfai-Relle S, Financsek I, Glavits R, Parent SC, Endres JR, Varga, T, Szucs Z, Clewell A. Single- and repeat-dose oral toxicity studies of citicoline free-base (choline cytidine 5’-pyrophosphate) in Sprague-Dawley rats. International Journal of Toxicology. 2009; 28(6): 479-487.
174C. Schauss AG. Emerging knowledge of the bioactivity of foods in the diets of indigenous North Americans. In: Bioactive Foods in Promoting Health: Fruits and Vegetables. Watson RR, and Preedy V [eds.]. Academic Press: Oxford, 2010, pp. 71-84.
173. Qureshi I, Endres JR, Schauss AG. GMPs: Mandate for product quality. Functional Ingredients, April 2009, p. 21.
172. Qureshi I, Endres JR, Schauss AG. cGMP compliance for dietary supplements. Part 2: Documentation. Functional Ingredients, May 2009.
171C. Schauss AG. Açai (Euterpe oleracea Mart.): A macro and nutrient rich palm fruit from the Amazon rain forest with demonstrated bioactivities in vitro and in vivo. In: Bioactive Foods in Promoting Health: Fruits and Vegetables. Watson RR, and Preedy V [eds.]. Academic Press: Oxford, 2010, pp. 479-490.
170. Jensen GS, Schauss AG, Beaman R, Ager, DM. Açai fruit (Euterpe oleracea Mart): systematic and collaborative study of the phytochemistry, nutrient composition, and in vitro and in vivo bioactivities of the Amazonian palm fruit in humans. Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, 2009; 15(3): S90-S91.
169. Endres JR, Clewell A, Jade KA, Farber T, Hauswirth J, Schauss AG. Safety assessment of a proprietary preparation of a novel probiotic, Bacillus coagulans, as a food ingredient. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 2009; 47(6): 1231-1238.
168. Conant R, Schauss AG, Qureshi I, and Endres JR. GRAS affirmation and the development of novel functional foods. Nutrition Outlook, 2009; 12(1): 64-68.
167. Schauss AG, Wu X, Jensen GS. Increased antioxidant capacity and inhibition of lipid peroxidation in healthy adults consuming an açai (Euterpe oleracea) fruit-based juice. Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Human Health Effects of Fruits and Vegetables. Patil B. [ed.] Acta Horticulturae, 2009; 841: 97-100.
166. Schauss AG. Tocotrienols: a review. In: Tocotrienols: Vitamin E Beyond Tocopherols. Watson RR, Preedy VR. [eds.] AOCS Press: Urbana, IL and Taylor & Francis/CRC Press: Boca Raton, FL, 2009, pp. 1–12.
165B. Schauss AG. Açai: An Extraordinary Antioxidant–Rich Palm Fruit from the Amazon. Biosocial Publications: Tacoma, 2008.
164B. Schauss AG. Antioksidantbomben Superbaerene fra Amazonasjungelen, Açai. [Norwegian] Lille Mane: Oslo, 2008.
163. Balogh L, Polyak A, Mathe D, Kiraly R, Thuroczy J, Terez M, Janoki G, Yao T, Bucci LR, and Schauss AG. Absorption, uptake and tissue affinity of high-molecular-weight hyaluronan after oral administration in rats and dogs. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2008; 56(22): 10582–10593.
162. Schauss AG. Extraordinary antioxidant activity and nutritional content of a small palm fruit Euterpe oleracea (“Açai”) from the Amazon. Oral presentation at the 236th American Chemical Society National Meeting, Division of Agricultural and Food Chemistry Symposium on Flavor and Health Effects of Small Fruits. Philadelphia, PA, August 18, 2008. [Abstract] Cornucopia, Fall, 2008, AGFD 95.
161. Honzel D, Carter SG, Redman KA, Schauss AG, Endres J, and Jensen GS. Comparison of chemical and cell–based antioxidant methods for evaluation of foods and natural products: Generating multifaceted data by parallel testing using erythrocytes and polymorphonuclear cells. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2008; 56(18): 8319–8325.
160. Jensen GS, Patterson KM, Barnes J, Carter SG, Wu X, Scherwitz L, Beaman R, Endres JR, Schauss AG. In vitro and in vivo antioxidant and anti–inflammatory capacity of an antioxidant–rich fruit and berry juice blend. Results of a pilot and randomized, double–blind, placebo–controlled, crossover study. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2008; 56(18): 8326–8333.
159. Tapola NS, Lyyra ML, Kolehmainen RM, Sarkkinen ES and Schauss AG. Safety aspects and cholesterol–lowering efficacy of chitosan tablets. Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 2008; 27: 22–30.
158. Jensen GS, Patterson KM, Janelle B, Schauss AG, Beaman R, Reeves SG, and Robinson LE. A double–blind placebo–controlled, randomized pilot study: consumption of a high–metabolite immunogen from yeast culture has beneficial effects on erythrocyte health and mucosal immune protection in healthy subjects. Open Nutrition Journal, 2008; 2: 68–75.
157. Schauss AG, Financsek I, Yuthana S, Chen C, and Kababick J. Safety assessment of dietary supplements marketed to enhance male sexual performance. [Abstract], Proceedings of the Society of Toxicology, in: The Toxicologist, March 2008, p. 153.
156. Conant R, Schauss AG, Qureshi I, and Endres JR. cGMP for dietary supplements: Role of the analytical laboratory. Nutrition Outlook, 2008; 11(9): 66–70.
155. Conant R, Schauss AG, Oureshi I, and Endres JR. The cGMP regulation for dietary supplements: A mandate for quality. Nutrition Outlook, 2008; 11(10): 64–72.
154B. Schauss AG. Açai (Euterpe oleracea): An Extraordinary Antioxidant–Rich Palm Fruit. [Spanish] Biosocial Publications: Tacoma, 2007.
153B. Schauss AG. Açai (Euterpe oleracea): An Extraordinary Antioxidant–Rich Palm Fruit: Updated. Biosocial Publications: Tacoma, 2007.
152. Schauss AG. CDP–choline: A cognitive–enhancing nutrient. Vitamin Research News, 2007; 21(12): 1, 3–4, 17.
151. Schauss AG. Boron: Higher doses necessary for cognitive, bone and joint health. Vitamin Research News, 2007; 21(9): 12–15.
150. Schauss AG. Preparing to comply with the new AER reporting law. Natural Products Industry Insider, 2007; 12(40: 77–78.
149. Jensen GS, Hart AN, and Schauss AG. An anti–inflammatory immunogen from yeast culture induces activation and altered chemokine receptor expression on human natural killer cells and B lymphocytes in vitro. Nutrition Research, 2007; 27(6): 327–335.
148. Schauss AG, Jensen G, Wu X, Scherwitz L. Increased antioxidant activity in vivo consuming Monavie, an açai (Euterpe oleracea) berry fruit–based beverage. [Abstract] Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Human Health Effects on Fruits and Vegetables, October 9, 2007, Houston, Texas, pp. 39–40.
147. Schauss AG. False and misleading information in US FDA’s 1994–1999 Adverse Events Monitoring System (AMES). Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, 2007; 22(1): 11–20.
146. Schauss AG, Malek D, Merkel DJ, Glaza SM and Sorenson SR. Acute and subchronic oral toxicity studies of hydrolyzed chicken sternal cartilage administered in the rat. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 2007; 45(2): 315–321.
145B. Schauss AG. Obesity: Why Are Men Getting Pregnant? Basic Health Publications: Los Angeles, 2006.
144. Wu L and Schauss AG. The scientific basis for LDL cholesterol–lowering therapy. Journal of the Association of Physicians and Surgeons, 2006; 11(1): 2–3.
143. Schauss AG. Fish oils: omega–3 fatty acids, docosahexanoic acid, eicosapentaenoic acid, dietary fish, and fish oils. In: Textbook of Natural Medicine, Third Edition, Volume 1. Pizzorno, J.E. and Murray, M.T. [eds.] Churchill Livingstone Elsevier: St. Louis, 2006, pp. 945–966.
142. Schauss AG. Suggested optimum nutrient intake of vitamins, minerals, and trace elements. In: Textbook of Natural Medicine. Third Edition, Volume 1. Pizzorno, J.E. and Murray, M.T. [eds.] Churchill Livingstone Elsevier: St. Louis, 2006, pp. 1275–1320.
141. Schauss AG. Citicoline (CDP–choline). In: Textbook of Natural Medicine. Third Edition, Volume 1. Pizzorno, J.E. and Murray, M.T. [eds.] Churchill Livingstone Elsevier: St. Louis, 2006, pp. 853–858.
140. Schauss AG. Epicor: suplemento alimentar unico que proporciona a melhoria imunologica. [Portuguese] Revista Bioquimica Medica, 2006; 15(3): 30–32.
139. Schauss AG, Jensen G, Vojdani A, Financsek I. After decades of ingestion by farm animals, the discovery of a yeast fermentate with unexpected significant immune modulatory activity when consumed by humans. [Abstract] Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 2006; 25(5): 465.
138. Schauss AG, Wu X, Prior RL, Ou B, Huang D, Owens J, Agarwal A, Jensen GS, Hart AN and Shanbrom E. Antioxidant capacity and other bioactivities of the freeze–dried Amazonian palm berry, Euterpe oleraceae Mart. (Açai). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2006; 54(22); 8604–8610.
137. Schauss AG, Wu, X, Prior RL, Ou B, Patel D, Huang D and Kababick JP. Phytochemical and nutrient composition of the freeze–dried Amazonian palm berry, Euterpe oleraceae Mart. (Açai). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2006; 54(22); 8598–8603.
136. Schauss AG and Steele E. Preliminary evidence of the safety and efficacy of Urologic, an herbal formulation for the treatment of urinary incontinence and overactive bladder. [Abstract] FASEB Journal, 2006; 20(5): A990.
135. Schauss AG and Vojdani A. Discovery of an edible fermentation product with unusual immune enhancing properties in humans. [Abstract] FASEB Journal, 2006; 20(4): A143.
134. Schauss AG, Ou B, and Wu X. High radical oxygen scavenging (ROS) and antioxidant activity in freeze–dried Euterpe oleracea (OptiAcai) palm fruit pulp. [Abstract] FASEB Journal, 2006; 20(4): A145.
133. Schauss AG, Spiller G, Chaves S and Gawlicka A. Effectiveness of Urologic in reducing the symptoms of overactivity bladder and urinary incontinence. Experimental Biology 2006, April 1–5, 2006, FASEB Journal, Program Addendum, [Abstract LB462] p. 102.
132B. Schauss AG. Açai (Euterpe oleracea): A Nutrition and Antioxidant Palm Fruit from the Amazon. Sound Concepts: Salt Lake City, 2005.
131. Horvath K, Schauss AG, Somfai–Relle S, Glavits R and Fianancsek I. Acute and subchronic toxicity of cryogenically–frozen, cryomilled, Pelodiscus sinensis (Japanese soft shelled turtle – suppon) powder administered to the rat. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 2005; 43(4): 575–580.
130. Schauss AG. A review of the European food supplements and traditional herbal medicines directives. HerbalGram: Journal of the American Botanical Council, 2004; 63: 64–69.
129. Schauss AG, Monro J, Vercelloti J and Ou B. Oil palm tree trunk fiber as a potential functional food. Federation of the American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB), 35th meeting, San Diego, CA. Oral presentation in the session on “Dietary Fiber, Fruits, Vegetabls and Grains.” [Abstract] FASEB Journal., 2005; 19(5): Part II: A984.
128B. Schauss AG, Meyer BF., and Meyer A. Feed My Brain. Biosocial Publications: Tacoma, 2004.
127. Schauss AG. Safety and efficacy substantiation of fungal products for the nutraceutical industry. Mushroom News, 2004; 52(9): 12–22.
126. Conant R and Schauss AG. Therapeutic applications of citicoline sodium salt and free base for stroke and cognitive dysfunction in the elderly: A review of the literature. Alternative Medicine Review, 2004; 9(1): 17–31.
125. Schauss AG, Balogh L, Polyak A, Mathe D, Kiraly R and Gyoko J. Absorption, distribution and excretion of 99m Technetium–labeled agent after single oral doses in rats and Beagle dogs. Federation of the American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB), Washington, D.C. [Abstract] FASEB Journal, 2004; Part I: A150–A151.
124. Schauss AG. Safety and efficacy substantiation of fungal products for the nutraceutical products industry. Proceedings of the 17th North American Mushroom Conference and 16th International Congress on the Science and Cultivation of Edible and Medicinal Fungi. Miami Beach, Florida, March 15, 2004, p. 48.
123. Bank G and Schauss AG. Antioxidant testing: an ORAC update. Nutraceuticals World, 2004; 7(3):68–71.
122B. Schauss AG. 100 Useful Weight Loss Tips That Promote Weight Management. Biosocial Publications: Tacoma, 2003.
121B. Schauss AG and Conant R. Mulberry Leaf: Herbal Support for Diabetes. Pacific Wellness: Los Angeles, 2003.
120. Schauss AG. The crisis of quality in the nutraceutical industry. [Letter] Integrative Medicine, 2003; 2(4): 10.
119. Schauss AG and Conant R. Preserve your memories with citicoline. HealthSmart Today, summer, 2003, pp. 100–102.
118. Conant R and Schauss AG. Citicoline: The brain protecting choline supplement. Natural Products Industry Insider. 2003 (May): 44–45.
117. Schauss AG. Soy: Is soy safe? HealthSmart Today, fall, 2002, pp. 106–108.
116. Schauss AG. Quality assurance in botanical medicine. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Sustainable Development by Science and Technology in Greater Mekong Subregion and Related Developing Countries: Public Health Section. Ministry of Public Health: Bangkok, 2002, pp. 265 – 271.
115. Horvath K, Noker PE, Somfai–Relle S, Glavits R, Financsek I and Schauss AG. Toxicity of methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) in rats. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 2002; 40(10): 1459–1462.
114. Barrager E, Veltman JR, Schauss AG and Schiller RN. A phase II clinical trial examining the safety and efficacy of methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) in the treatment of allergic rhinitis. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2002; 8(2): 167–173.
113. Schauss AG. Supplement use for stress. Vitamin Retailer, 2001; 8(12): 28, 67.
112. Schiller RN, Barrager E, Schauss AG and Nichols EJ. A randomized, double blind, placebo–controlled study examining the effects of a rapidly soluble chitosan dietary supplement on weight loss and body composition in overweight and mildly obese individuals. Journal of the American Nutraceutical Association, 2001; 4(1): 34–41.
111. Frank L, and Schauss AG. The female athlete triad: biochemistry and treatment. International Journal of Integrative Medicine, 2002; 4(1): 8–31.
110. Schauss AG. Coenzyme A. Health Products Business, 2000; 45(17): 25–26.
109. Fox PC, Metz JS, and Schauss AG. Xerostomia and salivary gland dysfunction: An under– recognized problem. International Journal of Integrative Medicine, 2000; 2(6): 45–51.
108. Schauss AG, and Morganti J. Integrative protocol for polycystic ovarian syndrome. International Journal of Integrative Medicine, 2000; 2(4): 38–42.
107. Schauss AG. Natural and conventional therapies in the treatment of eating disorders. International Journal of Integrative Medicine, 2000; 2(2): 30–39.
106. Schauss AG and Munson SE. Soy: From ancient China to modern America. Health Products Business, 1999; 45(6): 25–28.
105. Schauss AG and Munson SE. Zinc: Are you getting enough? [Consumer Advisor section feature article.] Health Products Business, 1999; 45(8): 21–22.
104. Schauss AG and Munson SE. Staying sharp: Supplements for your brain. Health Products Business, 1999; 45(10): 24–25.
103B. Schauss AG. Minerals, Trace Elements and Human Health, 4th Ed. Life Sciences Press: Tacoma, 1999.
102. Schauss AG. Fish Oils. In: Textbook of Natural Medicine. Second Edition. Pizzorno, J.E. and Murray, M.T. [eds.] Churchill Livingstone: London, 1999, pp. 733–744. Churchill Livingstone acquired by Elsevier Science (Amsterdam).
101. Schauss AG. Recommended Optimum Nutrient Intakes (RONI’s). In: Textbook of Natural Medicine. Second Edition. Pizzorno, J.E. and Murray, M.T. [eds.] Churchill Livingstone: London, 1999, pp. 909–938. (803 references)
100. Schauss AG and Munson SE. Guggul (Commiphora mukul): Chemistry, toxicology, and efficacy of a hypolipidemic and hypocholesterolemic agent. Natural Medicine Journal, 1999; 2(3): 7–11.
99. Schauss AG, Millholland RBR, Munson SE. Indian frankincense (Boswellia serrata) gum resin extract: A review of therapeutic applications and toxicology. Natural Medicine Journal, 1999; 5(2): 16–23.
98. Forsleff L, Schauss AG, Bier ID and Stuart S. Evidence of functional zinc deficiency in Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 1999; 5(1): 57–64.
Orthomolecular Medicine Hall of FameInducted 2014
A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the equality of his actions and the integrity of his intent. – Douglas MacArthur
Alexander Schauss began studying nutrition and botanical medicine in 1969, the same year he organized his first clinical trial on the use of high dose oral vitamin C and its effects on opioid receptors in the treatment of heroin withdrawal syndrome, a landmark study that attracted the attention of Dr. Linus Pauling. He earned his undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees at the University of New Mexico at Albuquerque and, California Coast University in Santa Ana, respectively, completing post-graduate studies and continuing education courses at the University of New Mexico, the University of Washington at Seattle and several others.
Currently, he is the Director of Natural and Medicinal Products Research, AIBMR Life Sciences, based in Puyallup, Washington, and lives near Tucson, Arizona, with plans to continue researching the role of nutrients on brain function, and foods such as acai on immune and brain function. He previously held the rank of Clinical Professor of Natural Products Research and Adjunct Research Professor of Botanical Medicine at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland, Oregon, Associate Professor of Research at the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine and Health Sciences in Tempe, Arizona; and, lecturer in biostatistics and epidemiology at Bastyr University in Seattle.
He has been a member of the NIH Office of Alternative Medicine Advisory Council; a member of the Ad Hoc Developmental Planning Committee of the NIH Office of Dietary Supplements, a reviewer of botanical standards and information monographs for the U.S. Pharmacopoeia Convention, to which he currently serves on one of its Expert Panels. In 1985, he was appointed by the US government to represent the United States as a voting member to the WHO Study Group on Health Promotion. In 1991, he cofounded and in 1992 directed, Citizens For Health, a national non-profit lobbying organization, which Congressional sponsors credited with providing the historic grass roots support that led to passage of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education (DSHEA) Act of 1994.
Schauss is the author or co-author of 225 papers or works, including 23 books, and a diverse range of papers in such journals as the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, Food and Chemical Toxicology, Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, International Journal of Biochemistry, International Journal of Neurology, Nutrition Research, Toxicology, Biological Trace Element Research, the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, and the Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, for which he serves as an Associate Editor.