International Conference on Metal Detoxification
June 10, 2019 - June 13, 2019
Tandvårdsskadeförbundet (a Swedish association for patients with ill health associated with dental materials) has together with Prof. Ulf Lindh of Uppsala University in Sweden recognized a need for an international gathering of experts in the fields of metal biology and geology to come together to present the developments of the research field and current projects. Together, they have taken the initiative for a conference themed metal detoxification. The Conference will take place on June 10 – 13, 2019.
- Biological mechanisms of the toxicity of metals such as mercury, lead, arsenic, aluminium, and cadmium.
- Medical geology and metals in the environment – the relationship between natural geological factors and their effects on human health. What is the collective burden today of human-made sources of metals in the environment, and what can be done to reduce it?
- Mechanisms of detoxification agents – the mechanisms of which drugs and other detoxification agents remove metals from the body.
- Natural agents and supplementation for metal detoxification – what alternatives are there to the classical drugs? What supplements and/or herbals have shown effect? What are their mechanisms of action?
- Nutrition as a supportive measure for metal detoxification – how can nutrients and/or specific diets be used to improve clinical outcomes by supporting specific cellular detoxification pathways?
- Genetic considerations in metal detoxification – what genetic variants affect a person’s ability to detoxify and excrete metals? Is DNA testing advised prior to treatment to identify susceptible individuals?
- Clinical application of detoxification agents – what are the experiences of clinically active practitioners? Agents used, dosing, success rates, complexity & considerations. Presentation of patient case studies.
- Testing for metal toxicity – pros and cons of testing in urine, blood, faeces, CSF, hair, or nails. Is challenged or unchallenged testing superior? Testing instruments and technical considerations.
As a result of the information conveyed during the conference and what is known in the scientific literature we will aim to establish research centers for detoxification in cooperation with existing clinics. A second aim is to inform the public about the burden of heavy metals from food, soil, water and air derived from natural sources or pollution.
Additional information and online registration – https://metdetox.org/